Hotels in Cleveland
1) Holiday Inn Express; 808 N. Davis Avenue; (662) 843-9300; https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/cleveland/cveld/hoteldetail
We have a group rate at this hotel of $104/night. When you make your reservation, mention the name of our conference!
The Holiday Inn Express can be found on Highway 61 going north out of Cleveland; it provides plenty of parking and is located immediately adjacent to several fast food restaurants.
2) Hampton Inn; 912 N. Davis Avenue; (662) 846-2915; https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/cvlmshx-hampton-cleveland/
The Hampton Inn is very close to the Holiday Inn Express and is adjacent to fast-food restaurants and located on the main road through Cleveland.
3) Cotton House Hotel; 215 Cotton Row; (662) 843-7733; https://www.cottonhousecleveland.com/
Cotton House is a boutique hotel located in downtown Cleveland; plenty of parking is located behind the building, and the hotel contains two restaurants, one of which includes a rooftop bar. Given its central location, it is also within walking distance of various shops, restaurants, and coffee shops.
4) Lyric Hotel West End; 1300 Hwy 8 West; (662) 441-3901; https://www.westendcleveland.com/lyric-hotel
As its name implies, the Lyric Hotel is located in the “West End” of Cleveland and is the closest hotel to Delta State’s campus. A brand new property, the Lyric Hotel complex includes several restaurants and is across the street from Harmony Bowling, the only bowling alley in Cleveland!
5) Quality Inn Hotel; 807 N. Davis Avenue; (662) 846-1525; https://www.choicehotels.com/mississippi/cleveland/quality-inn-hotels/ms208
The Quality Inn is located at the south end of the Highway 61, which runs north/south through Cleveland.
Things to do in Cleveland:
- The Matthews-Sanders Sculpture Garden sits on Delta State University’s campus in front of the Bologna Performing Arts Center, just across the quad from Kethley Hall, where our conference sessions will be held. As sculptures are rotated out from the garden, they are moved to other locations on campus and in the community; art can be seen everywhere! More information about this wonderful garden can be found here: https://thesculpturegardenms.com/
- Shopping! Downtown Cleveland is a bustling and vibrant place, and there are many shops for your clothing, antiques, and souvenir needs. A useful walking map can be found on the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce website here: https://www.clevelandmainstreet.com/.
- Harmony Bowling, located at 1321 Hwy 8, is a fun, family-friendly place to bowl the evening away. They are open from 3pm to midnight on Fridays and noon to midnight on Saturdays.
- The annual music festival Anotherfest will be taking place the same weekend as our conference; this happens every spring and features multiple bands playing at multiple venues throughout the city. More information can be found here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/anotherfest-tickets-273013569937?aff=erelexpmlt. Tickets are $15.
- Unfortunately, The Grammy Museum in Cleveland will not be open to visitors this Friday and Saturday, as it is playing host to a wedding. However, a thirty-minute drive to Indianola will take you to the excellent B.B. King Museum and Delta Interpretive Center; more information can be found here: https://bbkingmuseum.org/.
Places to eat:
There are many excellent places to chow down in Cleveland, but I have only listed establishments that open for dinner or that provide pre-conference or post-conference necessities, like coffee and ice cream. A quick Google or Yelp search can show you other options!
- There are two coffee shops in downtown Cleveland: Mississippi Grounds, located at 219 S. Court Street, is open from 9 am to noon on Saturdays. The other, Zoe Coffee Co., is located at 106 N Sharpe Avenue and is open from 7 am to 3 pm on Saturdays.
- A visit to Cleveland wouldn’t be complete without a visit to Delta Dairy, a local purveyor of delicious frozen yogurt and ice cream; I can HIGHLY recommend their ice cream sandwiches made with absolutely enormous, house-made chocolate chip cookies. They are located at 113 S. Sharpe Avenue and are open from noon until 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- The Cotton House hotel in downtown Cleveland houses two restaurants, both featuring the culinary delights of James Beard-nominated chef Cole Ellis. Delta Meat Market is located on the ground floor of the hotel; they are located at 215 Cotton Row and are open from 10 am to 9pm on Fridays. The other is Bar Fontaine, which is located on the rooftop of the hotel; they are open from 4pm to midnight. Both serve seasonal menus that rotate weekly, so check them out on Facebook or Instagram!
- If you are looking for some tasty Mexican food, there are a few options in town. Mosquito Burrito features make-your-own burritos and burrito bowls, and they share an outdoor patio with Hey Joe’s (more on them below!); they are located at 118 E. Sunflower Road and are open from 11am to 9pm Fridays and Saturdays. No Way Josè is located away from the downtown area right next door to Harmony Bowling (see above!) at 1321 Hwy 8; they are open from 11am to 10:30pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Avocadoes (405 Industrial Parkway; open 11am to 10:30pm) and Mexico Grill (604 1/2 N. Davis Avenue; open 11am to 9:30) are two other great choices!
- Hey Joe’s is a great option for craft beers, burgers, sandwiches, and other crowd-pleasing favorites. They are also located at 118 E. Sunflower Road and feature a two-story patio that is shared with Mosquito Burrito; they are open from 11 am to 9 pm Fridays and Saturdays. On Saturday, 4/2, they will be hosting Anotherfest, a traveling music festival; more information can be found above.
- Looking for steak? Backdraft Restaurant & Bar, located at 337 Cotton Row, is an excellent option! They are open from 5pm to 9:30pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- If you are looking for unexpectedly delicious Italian food in a rustic setting, head out of town a bit to Papa Roc’s Italian Grill, located at 3442 Hwy 8; they are open from 5pm to 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays and often host live music.
- Lost Pizza Company is just on the edge of town and offers a great atmosphere and even better food; they are located at 3745 US-61 and are open from 3pm to 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Airport Grocery is neither an airport nor a grocery store, but instead, it is a crowd-pleasing eatery with a fun atmosphere; it is located near Lost Pizza at 3608 US-61 and is open from 11am to 10pm Fridays and Saturdays.
- There are also many fast-food options, including Zaxby’s, Wendy’s, Taco Bell, Popeyes, McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, Subway, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Church’s Chicken. Most are located on US 61 that runs north and south through Cleveland.