On this page, you’ll find resources generated by our March 12, 2021 event, Hindsight is 2020. We envisioned this meeting of writing center professionals, administrators, tutors, and students as a way for us to come together after a very long and strange year. We hope you’ll find some insights here from our community about how to practice writing center work both during and after this crisis.
Writing Center Life Hacks
- Submitted by Liz Whiteacre and Dawn Hershberger
- How can this resource help folks working in writing centers? To solve the problem of orienting students participating in the Designated Tutor Program, we created a video for participating asynchronous, online classes. Our infographic shares what we did and what we’d do differently next time.
- Keywords: Orientation, Communicating with Clients, Communicating with Faculty
- Submitted by Abigail Lake
- How can this resource help folks working in writing centers? It’s all in the title! I get a lot of students asking me how I would fix the content of their paper, but I always try to get them to tell me instead. The results almost always yield what you see in the video (well, sort of).
- Keywords: Content Building, Brainstorming, Student Engagement
- Submitted by Kaylynn Welch
- How can this resource help folks working in writing centers? This resource could help tutors with proofreading their own or students’ papers by giving them easy way to catch mistakes.
- Keywords: Proofreading, Editing
- Submitted by Mary Evelyn McPherson
- How can this resource help folks working in writing centers? This resource could help receptionists stay organized when talking to clients or answering questions over the phone.
- Keywords: Receptionist, Organization
- Submitted by Sarah Jarrell
- How can this resource help folks working in writing centers? This video can provide tutors with a model for how to organize writing center related files on their computer.
- Keywords: Files, Computer Organization, Tutor Efficiency
- Submitted by Brittany Ellis, Martha McCafferty, Kellie Smith, Christina Staten, and Olivia Wright
- How can this resource help folks working in writing centers? Though we all miss being face-to-face and helping students in person, we have developed a great sense of community while being online . Here are some of our favorite tutoring “hacks” that have made this transition easier!
- Keywords: Fostering Community, Online Tutoring, Workplace Culture
Virtual Writing Center Tours
Take a trip to Jackson or Oxford to see some of our members’ writing centers!
Tour the University of Mississippi Writing Center – Oxford, MS
Tour the Mississippi College Writing Center – Jackson, MS
Resources from Presentations
Let’s (re)connect! Reflections on 2020
Lemons and Lemonade Icebreaker by Liz Egan
Working with Students Online: Asynchronous Sessions
- Commenting in Online Writing Appointments by Rachel E. Johnson
- Chat Transcript from Session
- Presentation Slides
Working with Students Online: Synchronous Sessions
Staying Connected While Apart
Training and Staff Development (Administrators and Professionals) by Bethani England
Team Building and Collaboration (Tutors and Students) by Jessica Herron
Adapting and Growing
Marketing and Branding Your Center by Kayleigh Few
Leading Online Writing Workshops by Josh Green
Creating Online Resources by Tatiana Glushko