The Writing Center at the University of Southern Mississippi, located in Hattiesburg, is hosting the Mississippi Writing Centers Association (MSWCA) conference in 2023. The conference theme is “Connecting at The Hub City: Intersecting the Highways and Byways of the Writing Center.” As our writing centers across the state navigate new ways of enhancing our centers and supporting students’ needs, this conference welcomes thoughts and ideas on networking, connecting, and reconsidering services.
Mississippi highways and byways connect to the Hub City, just like our writing centers serve as a connection to students, faculty, administrators, staff, and community members. As our sense of community expands, we are open to thoughts and ideas on how writing centers can bridge connections and create collaborations with other areas, disciplines, departments, and institutions.
This conference is inclusive and open to a wide variety of people across states, institutions, and communities. The conference is open for all Mississippi writing center tutors, staff, and administrators as well as participants outside of Mississippi. We especially encourage submissions from two-year institutions, high schools, and community writing centers. Some questions that you might consider as you develop submissions include:
- How does your writing center work to bridge connections with other departments in your institution?
- How does your writing center navigate to form healthy relationships with students, staff, and faculty?
- How do you keep your foot on the gas whilst preventing potential tutor burnout in your writing center?
- How can social media be utilized as a branch in the “information superhighway” in your writing center?
- What routes do you take in outsourcing resources to help improve your writing center?
- How do you improve the flow of traffic, or lack thereof, in your writing center?
- How can you steer the direction of the tutorial session to be effective in meeting students’ needs?
While we have provided a list of questions to consider as you develop your proposal, we welcome proposals on all writing center topics.
Types of Proposals:
- Panel Presentations (1 hour and 15 minutes)
- Interactive Workshops (1 hour and 15 minutes)
- Roundtable Discussions (1 hour and 15 minutes)
- Individual Presentations (20 minutes)
- Poster Presentations
- 750 word limit – Panel proposals
- 500 word limit – Collaborative/interactive proposals
- 250 word limit – Individual and poster proposals
Proposal Due Date: January 30, 2023